Thursday, December 13, 2007

Protesting Demeaning Images in Media

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/05/arts/05enou.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

I am a little confused by this article...maybe more confused on how I should take it. I do agree that BET and channels like MTV have way to vulgar stuff and to tell you the truth I am so disgusted at what they show on those programs, especially at night, I refuse to watch them.

The only part that I am confused on is the true stance of the Enough is Enough group. Are they protesting that BET is only showing a small portion of black life or it is showing a completely wrong portion? I ask this because I have seen blacks look and act just like the blacks in BET…some of them looked like they just stepped out of the show. I’m not ignorant enough to think that all blacks are like this, but I always wondered if blacks (especially young ones) acted like they do because of what is aired on BET? Kind of a “monkey-see-monkey-do” sort of thing. Either way, I’m glad they are protesting and I think more people of all races should protest because it amazes me today that the stuff in rap videos can even be aired on television.

For Clues on Teenage Sex, Experts Look to Hip-Hop

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/06/health/06well.html

“We need to teach teens that these portrayals of women and sex don’t represent reality,” as one person stated in the article. When I hear hip-hop lyrics I do believe its true but not just for anyone. I usually associate the artists lyrics with the artist, seeing that they usually are promiscuous and treat woman around them like they’re objects. I don’t believe that all black people are like the lyrics in hip-hop songs but I never relate any other race to hip-hop lyrics.

Maybe it’s because I always see rap videos being the same with them verbally putting down women and treating them like they’re not even human.

I remember this one college girl had stated how she was mad at all the white people for buying rap cds and supporting this false image of black people. All I could think was, hello!!! It’s your people that are writing this junk and as Marc Newman stated in a previous article, “A lot of rap isn’t rap anymore, it’s just people selling their souls.” Both parties are at fault and we all need to take a stand.

No comments: