Thursday, December 13, 2007

In Bruce Lee's Shadow: Asians Struggle to Create New Hollywood Images

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/story?id=771790&page=1&Entertainment=true

When the article mentioned how Asians were never seen as leading roles in falling in love, I had never really thought about it before, but it’s true! Even in one of Jackie Chan’s movies there is opportunities for him to “hook up” with a woman and it’s just like the article stated, “they’re too busy fighting off villains to fall in love.” I wonder if this is why people outside of the Asian culture do not view Asians as attractive?

As the article started to talk about Asian actresses, they mentioned a current actress that played a role different from past Asian roles. Her name is Sandra Oh and she is one of the lead roles in the TV show, Grey’s Anatomy. I personally love this character and love that she doesn’t have a “typical Chinese accent.” I hope to see more characters like her.

However, I came upon a very sad discovery. I Googled Sandra’s name and went to images, a couple of images over I happened to scroll onto a page that completely disgusted me. It was a poll site that called her ugly and had people compare a character from an old movie with Cher, but the name escapes me. Not even a couple of images down I saw her in a Marie Claire ad in which I could barely recognize her! They had her done in so much make up, and I’m sure with tons of Photoshop, that it made me sad for her. I wonder how she feels looking at a picture that doesn’t even look like herself, does that make her feel incapable? I wish they would leave her natural, we need more normal every-day people in media.

No comments: